Sunday 9 March 2014

10 week count-down

If you recall Bon Accord Lions Club helped us put on a fantastic Race Night in February.  Well we got some great news from them again this week, it seems they pick charities occasionally that they feel are the most worth-while and refund their £100 fee.  Well yes you guest it they chose us this time.

Thank you very much Bon Accord Lions Club




In fact thanks to the generous people of Aberdeen, our fundraising is well in hand.  So far we have raised £5, 319.39 of our target £6,600. 

Thank you Aberdeen

 
 
 
With the fundraising coming along well and the Trek to Machu Picchu only 10 weeks away, Heather and I felt it was time to increase our training regime dramatically.
 
As we both work full time and different hours getting training time together isn't easy but luckily for us we live in the North East of Scotland so hills are not to far away.  Hills like Benachie which is only 30 mins drive from here.
 
Benachie
 
So two weeks ago we headed up here for the first time and Heather being younger and fitter than her dear old Mum was at the top in 45 mins, I was about 15 mins behind her but I did it.  Yipee!!!!
 
 

Heather up Benachie

Karen up Benachie
 
 
 
Okay this is definitely going to have to be a regular trip until I beat Heather up the hill, like that will ever happen.
 
 
Heather waiting for me again
 
 
 
Okay so the following week, Heather ends up waiting for me again.  Doesn't she look cold oops!
 
 
I decided I was going to have to do something here, so for the next week I left the car at home and walked to work every day.  Then yesterday we all headed out to Dunnottar Castle and I kept up with Heather Yipee!!!
 
 
 
Heather and Karen at Stonehaven
 
 
 
Its a great walk with a very steep start up the cliffs from the village, we headed along to the war memorial and Heather, Howard and I were all surprised just how many members of the same families were listed as having died during the war.
 
 
Howard and Heather at the War Memorial
 
 
Next step the castle and what a view you get from this cliff top path.
 
 
Heather enjoying the view of the castle.




 
 
Dunnottar Castle is set out on cliff separated from the mainland with smuggler caves underneath, this is one of the most interesting looking castles in the north-east with a even more interesting history. 
 
Heather waits for Howard to catch up!
 

Heather, Karen and Howard at Dunnottar Castle
 

To get to the castle itself you have to climb down and back up again several steps, the largest single section has 178, yes we counted them and laughed afterwards that we would have to do that regularly too to practice for the 3,000 steps we have at Machu Picchu.

Today I headed out on my own as Heather had to work, but lets face it I need more practice than she does, Howard had enough yesterday.........

So back up Benachie it is....

 
Me up Benachie

I did it though getting better all the time...........still a long way to go but I will be ready, if it doesn't kill me first!!!!!

However, don't forget what we are doing this for, Macmillan Cancer Support help to tackle challenges like these every day for people suffering from cancer as well as helping their families in their hours of need, so if you haven't already donated to our fundraising cause please do so by clicking here Karen and Heather.

No comments:

Post a Comment