Saturday 22 March 2014

What a night!!!

There is less than 8 weeks left now until we head out to Peru to take part in the Inca Trail for Macmillan Cancer Support.

This last week has been really busy.  As well as heading to the gym to train, I have been busy getting my rabies and yellow fever immunisations - mum doesn't need to get them as she already had them for her previous trips to Kenya.  I was also meant to renew my Tetanus, Thyphoid and Hepititis A jabs on Friday but when I called the GP to let them know I was going to be five to ten minutes late the very rude receptionist told me not to bother going in and that I would have to wait another 2 weeks to get the injections.  I thought I was being polite by phoning to say I was going to be a little late but looks like I shouldn't have bothered phoning and instead I should have just turned up late - at least that way I would have gotten the injections.  On the other hand, at least by waiting two more weeks it will give my poor arm a wee chance to recover from yellow fever and the first 2 rabies jabs.

What I most likely looked like during my injections.

We have also been busy getting our very expensive kits together and we now have most of what we need.  I ordered my Tilley hat today and mum very kindly bought me a new camera bag for my NEX (one that can be attached to my bag strap to save me having to dig into my rucksack everytime I want to take a photograph.  We now only have a few bits and pieces left to get and we are sorted!!

My new Tilley hat.

On other news, last night we got some friends together and did another fancy dress pub crawl.  It was freezing cold, really windy and was a little dribbly but we still braved it (without jackets) in the name of charity.

Waiting for the others to arrive in the freezing cold.

Lianne, Me, Penny, Sarah, mum and Val about to start pub crawling


With the weather being a bit on the crap side and with it being a week before pay day town was quite quiet.  This however did not stop it from being an eventful night for us.  In fact, in the very first pub we went into, Sarah was propositioned by an elderly gentleman who offered her £1000 to spend the night with him, she sadly declined.

Lianne the pirate wench, mum ready to go to war, me ready to clean somebody's house and Sarah being a bit mad hattery, minutes before being propositioned.

We went into another pub and Val, our sexy nun, had tenners thrust into her cleavage and I was asked by a couple of guys to kiss them in exchange for their donations.  Whilst leaning in to give one guy a peck on the cheek he slyly turned his face at the last second, cheeky bugger!!

Signing licences and getting ready to begin our pub crawl.

Apart from the frisky men in town we did not have any trouble from drunk people or with getting into pubs like we've had in previous pub crawls.  In fact, Lianne even had a homeless man stop her on the street to donate some of his takings into her charity bucket.  What we did find last night though, was that since pay day wasn't for another week more people than usual were declining to donate any money which left us feeling as though we hadn't raised a lot of money.  How wrong we were!!!  In fact, despite it being quiet and slow, we actually raised more then we ever have before, we even raised more than last time which was just after pay day, which was in part to do with the amount of £5, £10 and £20 notes people had put into our buckets.

Penny, our cheeky but loveable school girl.

The last time we did a pub crawl I took in £252.30, mum took in £157.02, Lianne made £112.64, Penny made £182.36, Pauline made £67.50 and Daga made £68.76 making a total of £840.58.

Lianne as the cowardly lion, mum as a witch, me as a burglar, Pauline as the queen of hearts, Penny as wonder woman and Daga as herself.

This time however, I made £262.19, mum made £180.21, Lianne made £159.18, Penny made £154.95, Val made £110.26 and Sarah made £104.93 making a total of £971.72, which takes our grand total to £6308.87 which is 96% towards our target of £6600.

Group shot.


So, with our target very much in sight and another 3 pub crawls in the pipeline, it looks like we will smash our target, or perhaps we should increase our target to £8500??

Either way, we are most definitely raising a lot of money for Macmillan Cancer Support which was our main goal and it feels great to have accomplished this, and it would not have been possible without the support of all of our friends and family and of course the very kind and generous (and drunk, and frisky) people of Aberdeen.

Remember though, that although we are doing very well with the fundraising, we do still have another £291.13 to reach our original target and if you would like to help us reach this then please click on our links below to sponsor us.  Thank you!!

http://www.justgiving.com/Heather-Kennedy5
http://www.justgiving.com/Karen-Kennedy5


No comments:

Post a Comment